Tuesday 2 December 2014

MY CONVERSION FROM STAUNCH HINDUISM TO CHRISTIANITY- DR. MATHUMATHI.

 
I was born as the only daughter in a traditional Hindu family,But I received graciously God’s light, as per Isaiah 9: 2:
“The people walking in darkness
have seen a great light;
on those living in the land of deep darkness
a light has dawned.”


Born in Vellangchettiar family in Rasipuram, Namakkal District, Tamil Nadu, I have feared God from my childhood. When I was 12 years old, my father died in three days, after suffering from a sudden head ache. This was an unbearable great loss to me, my mother and other relatives.
My family and relatives were doing business and were good in education, money, name and fame. They were of the opinion that all gods are one and all religions are the same. They were involved in Ramakrishna Mission, Satya Sai Mutt, etc. A Christian teacher in my school gave me a Bible as a gift. My neighboring sister had told me that Jesus is the one true God and that He loves us. By God’s grace, I did not have much worry and joined Stanley Medical College, Chennai.
Some believers who had received Jesus used to come there once a week and share about Him. I attended their meetings and learnt that God talks to us through the Bible. I was attracted by the Christians’ life. I felt that holiness and humility at heart were great virtues. Jesus spoke to me through John 14:6 “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.”
Even though we had money, education and position in our family, we did not have what the Christians have, namely the peace and joy that the world cannot give. To receive this peace and joy, I started attending Christian meetings. I was confused about the many divisions in the church. But the Lord spoke to me through the promise in Jeremiah 3:15: “I will give you shepherds after my own heart, who will lead you with knowledge and understanding.” I confessed my sins, repented, and received the joy of my salvation.
My mother and family did not like this change in me. They told me it was right to say ‘all gods are one’. I decided to be a secret Christian. God spoke to me through the verse: “You are the ones who justify yourselves in the eyes of others, but God knows your hearts. What people value highly is detestable in God’s sight” (Luke 16:15).
So I said to my mother and other relatives, “Jesus alone is the true God. I would like to follow Him alone.” Though there was a strong opposition, I held onto the promise: the Lord will do all things for me (Psalm 138: 8).
After completing M.B., B.S., I joined the Government service. I prayed to God to give me a life partner who loves Jesus more than I and one who loves His ministry. As per God’s guidance, I fasted and prayed and I married Mr Lawrence Gunasekaran. My husband is a faith preacher, as I prayed. The members of the family I entered were all lovers of God and His ministry. As in 2 Corinthians 5: 17, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has disappeared, and all things have become new. My old nature disappeared and I desired for and received a life filled with the fruit of the Spirit.
Moreover, things happen in my life as written in Romans 8: 28: we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

Since I trusted God as my wonderful Counselor, I completed my higher studies, and worked as Tutor in the same Stanley Medical College where I had studied. God has blessed us with two girls. My husband helps me to grow in the spiritual life. Our only desire is to lead a victorious Christian life.
As in Psalm 118: 14,
TheLord is my strength and song,
And He has become my salvation.


 









SEE THE LIST OF INDIAN PROMINENT CONVERTS FROM HINDUISM TO CHRISTIANITY BELOW:
     

No comments: